Amsterdam trip

I've just had a really nice quick weekend away to Amsterdam with two of my friends so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the city and some of my snaps.

Do you like my new shoes?

We only stayed the one night, but I wish we could have stayed for longer. It is such a beautiful city, I loved everything about it. I love all the little shops and cafes down the back alleys, the fact that there are canals everywhere (the amount of photos I have standing on bridges is ridiculous), the millions of bike riders, some decorated their bikes with flowers which was so cute, and, most importantly, I love how different their culture is to anywhere else that I have been.





It was a bit of a culture shock being able to smell weed literally everywhere you go and seeing half naked ladies in windows, but that was what I found so interesting about the place. It was quite cool seeing bongs and cookies with something 'special' in them being sold in shops. What?! I really don't think anywhere else in the world could get away with being like Amsterdam. Especially not England!

In Dam Square

I did find it quite embarrassing walking down the red light district, I kept trying to avert my eyes elsewhere. It was slightly awkward when we saw men entering the rooms (we know what you're about to get up to *said with a smirk and raised eyebrows*). Cringe! Even more cringe-worthy is when we dared ourselves to go into a sex museum. Not somewhere I ever imagined myself to be but y'know, when in Rome and all that. I mean where else in the world would you ever see another one?
I did take some photos of the hilarious 'bits' in there, but I'm not going to put them up here in case I traumatise some delicate eyes. It was pretty funny though. If you ever visit Amsterdam I do recommend that you have a look in one of the many museums of this sort that they have just for the laughs.

So many bikes

On a more serious note, we also had a look at Anne Frank's House. We queued for an hour but it was worth it because I think it is such an important place to visit. It is a very powerful place and really does pull on your heart strings reading about what their family had to go through.

The night life was so good even though it was a little pricey. We sat outside a nice restaurant while we had our tea and sipped on cocktails before heading to a bar. We did want to try out the ice bar where everything is made of ice (no shit sherlock) and it is minus 10 degrees in there so they give you a dressing gown to keep warm. But what we didn't know until we arrived was that you're only given a 20 minute slot, which does make sense so you don't get ill from the cold, but for the price it was we decided to pass and headed to a regular bar. We spent the whole night just in the one place because it was so good. Funnily enough it did seem to be full of quite a lot of Brits.

Sipping cocktails


Outside the Ice bar
We may have had a few drinks ;)

We had such a good night and I really enjoyed the entire trip. I would love to go back to do some of the things we didn't have time to do like take a boat ride down the canals, visit Hard Rock Cafe so I could get a pin (I try to collect the pins from every city I visit), maybe try a space cake...maybe... I dunno.

Pretty <3

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?

Faye
xxxx

Comments

Popular Posts