Just call me Mary Berry

I've been baking! :)
Me and my mum decided to do a bit of baking the other day. I do love to bake so it was such a lovely way to spend my day off work, and some quality time with mother dearest is always nice so double win.

*WARNING* I have taken photos but my photography skills of food aren't the best (don't judge).

Flapjacks

We first made some flapjacks. Well, they weren't really flapjacks, more like granola bars because we didn't have any oats but we did have a ridiculous amount of granola that were coming up to its sell by date (that's a lie, the date had already past but shhh don't tell anyone) so we used that instead. I'm not going to lie, we got the recipe from a child's first cook book so I'm rather glad it went well otherwise that could have been embarrassing! Here's the recipe we used:

Flapjacks before they went in the oven
Recipe
Professional recipe book ;)
250g/8oz Porridge oats (granola)
125g/ 4oz Butter
60g/ 2oz Demerara sugar
45ml/ 3tbspns Golden syrup

Method
Preheat the oven at 180C/gas mark 4 and grease a shallow baking tin.
Put the sugar, syrup and butter in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until melted.
Take the pan off the heat and stir in the oats/granola.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
It is best to leave the flapjacks to cool for a bit (5-10 minutes) before cutting them because they will still be quite sticky, but you don't want to leave it too long because they will then be quite hard to cut.

They were quite nice. At first I was unsure and I prefer it when they are made with oats but a day later they were even nice so I definitely think we will make them again. However, we did agree that because granola doesn't layer as well as oats we would put more in next time than the recipe says and make them thicker (more like granola bar size than flapjack size).

Making sure nobody is watching me steal a flapjack ;)

Banana, Pecan & Date Muffins

We had a few banana's that were going a bit bad so we decided to make use of them instead of throw them in the bin and made banana, pecan and date muffins. We normally just make a banana cake with them but a while back we thought we would give this recipe a go and thought they were delicious so we made them again. The recipe does include a sort of sugar topping which we did put on last time and it added a nice crunch to the muffin but we kinda forgot about it this time, but they are just as good without. Here's how we made them:

Putting my muffins in the oven

Recipe
This recipe only provides the measurements in grams and I'm too lazy to convert them to other measurements, so if you don't use grams...soz.
100g Butter
175g Light soft brown sugar
300g very ripe bananas- peeled weight (about 2 1/2)
2 Eggs
275g Plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
50g Pecans
125g dried stoned dates

For the topping:
10g Butter
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
65g Granulated sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
Melt the butter, then stir into the sugar in a bowl.
In another bowl, mash the bananas, then add to the butter and sugar and mix.
Stir in the eggs.
Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and stir into the mixture
Chop the pecans and dates, then add to the mixture.
Fill the cases with the mixture.

For the topping:
Melt the butter and mix together with the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
Sprinkle over the muffins.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

The finished products right before they went in my mouth :)

Quiche Lorraine

I, yes I, no help from mother, made a Quiche Lorraine for tea. I first made this when I was at Uni for my housemates and loved it. When I came home I told the family they have to try this and now I make it quite often. I'm just a culinary genius :) To be fair it is so easy to make. Here's what I do:

My quiche!

Recipe
175g/6oz Shortcrust pastry
75-125g/3-4oz Bacon (I usually use 3 rashes)
75-125g/3-4oz Cheese (I use cheddar)
2 Eggs
150ml Single cream or milk (I use milk)
Pinch of salt and pepper

Method
Preheat the oven at 200C/gas mark 6.
Roll out the pastry to line a 20cm/8inch tin. I make sure there is excess pastry hanging over the tin so the filling doesn't over flow and cut it off late before serving.
Chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes (I never usually do this...too lazy)
Blind bake at 200C/gas mark 6 for 10-15 minutes.
Chop the bacon into small pieces and scatter over the pastry base.
Thinly slice the cheese and cover the bacon with it.
Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour into the pastry case.
Bake at 200C for about 30 minutes.

Enjoyed it with a nice salad and jacket potato

Maybe one day I will be brave enough to make my own pastry. I do really want to try and make a crab and ricotta quiche next. I'm sort of obsessed with crab at the minute. Yummy!

Let me know in the comments if you have given the recipes a go and what you think of them.
Also, let me know what you like to back and I might give them a go

Happy baking :)


Comments

Popular Posts